Cauliflower, for me, is the most versatile ingredient for Keto recipes. You can make rice, pizza dough, and even desserts using this low-carb veggie hero. A cup of cauliflower florets contains only 2.9 grams of carbs, as opposed to 26 grams (gasp!) per cup of diced potatoes.
The easiest and simplest way to incorporate cauliflower in a Keto meal is by grinding and frying it to make cauliflower rice. I’ve done this so many times. I even keep ready-to-fry cauliflower rice in the freezer for when laziness strikes, which is very often! But today, I decided to slave a bit in the kitchen and make a cheesy casserole, just ‘coz I’ve been craving for Bizu’s baked rice.
I used three kinds of cheese here–parmesan, mozzarella, and gruyere–but you can skip the fancy ones and just stick to mozzarella (or any quick-melt cheese). The result is a gooey and creamy dish that’s a complete meal on its own. And did I say low-carb?
Cheesy Cauliflower Rice Casserole With Shrimps & Spinach
A perfect substitute dish for your baked rice cravings. Creamy, gooey, and low in carbs!
- 1 whole cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1 small carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 tomato, diced
- a bunch of spinach leaves
- half a can of button mushrooms, sliced
- 200 grams shrimps, peeled
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- pinch of paprika
- parsley, for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Make the cauliflower rice: grind the florets using a food processor. If you don’t have one, you can achieve this by grating the whole cauliflower (just be prepared for the mess!).
- In a pan, sautee onions, garlic, bell pepper, tomatoes, and carrots.
- Add the shrimps, and then the mushrooms.
- Put in the spinach and keep sauteeing until the leaves are soft and wilted. Season to taste.
- In a bowl, mix together cauliflower rice and your sauteed ingredients.
- Add cream and cheeses.
- Add paprika. Taste, and adjust seasoning.
- Transfer to an oven-safe dish, and add more cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the top turns golden. Top with parsley and serve. Enjoy!